May 16, 2008

Hood2Hood




Hood2Hood is a classic collection of short stories from different authors with stories from the hood.

Why is a Christian Fiction Author promoting a street fiction Anthology you ask? Simple...I'm one of the different authors in the book. My submission to Hood2Hood, Love Stinks, was one of my final secular works under the name Gena L. Garrison.

Since this is the blog, where we tell it all I will go ahead and admit that I was never a fan of street fiction. But as a writer, I believed and still do, that I should keep an open mind about that which I may not completely understand.

So when a writer's group I was in sent out a challenge to write a street lit short story, I decided to try my hand at the craft. I won 2nd place in the contest.

Three years later I submitted the revised and edited story to Shannon Holmes for Hood2Hood and it was selected.

When I received my author copies, I checked out my story and began to do promotions on my story alone.

Big mistake. When approached by readers with comments about the other stories, I had no clue what they were raving about.

So I reluctantly took the time to actually READ the book I am a part of.

It must say that I really enjoyed reading all of the authors featured. Shannon Holmes has done an excellent job of selecting a wide range of unique and talented authors.

I invite you to check out Hood2Hood even if street fiction is not "your thing". I promise you will be pleasantly surprised.

Be Blessed

Z

1 comment:

Jahzara said...

I am Jahzara on of the author's in the book and I am God's girl. My first work under the name Nicole Bradley I wasn't saved. I am now. However, I did write Friends With Benefits and people raise their eyebrows and question my love for God. I know who I am and whose I am and I think we all have to keep it real and realize that we have all come short of the glory of God and if we keep living will have some falls.
Really, I can see how some people may issues, but I like how you sum it up in your blog. Whatever, works for a person. I have come to realize that I can write in that genre, but am like you in a different place now as far as my writing. I'm going to be bold with it and say I can write in different genres and people will love it. However, I have an accountability to God and myself in regards to my gift, so that is my focus now.
One last thing, I trip off how some people respond to books, but what are they bobbing their heads to, what's in their CD player, iPod, and I'm not going to even touch movies and tv.
I read your story and like it very much.

Much Luv 2 U,
Jahzara
www.jahzarawrites.com

Slideshow

Holy Spirit